Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Tree of Life


The elders said that Gichi-Manidoo created the world in a certain order; first, the physical world of sun, moon, earth and stars; second, the plant world of trees, flowers, grasses, and fruits.

Plants were therefore prior to animals and to the Anishinaabeg. They could exist alone; they are not dependent upon other beings for their existence or well being.
In essence each plant being of whatever species was a composite being, possessing an incorporeal substance, its own unique soul-spirit. It was the vitalizing substance that gave to its physical form, growth and self-healing. The inner substance had a further power. It could conjoin with other members of its own species and, more wonderfully, with other species to form a corporate spirit.

Each valley or any other earth form – a meadow, a bay, a grove, a hill – possess a mood, which reflects the state of being of that place. Whatever the mood, happy, peaceful, turbulent, or melancholy, it is the tone of that soul-spirit. As proof, destroy or alter or remove a portion of the plant beings, and the mood and tone of that valley will not be what it was. 

THE TREE OF LIFE
An excerpt from Ojibway Heritage, Basil Johnson

A tree images life

It grows

Unwell, it heals itself                   
Spent, it dies

A tree reflects

It changes

Altered, it restores itself 
Ever to remain the same
.
A tree gives life

It abides

       It lends existence yet             
Endures undiminished.

     Trees give me everything    
Serve all my needs

     To the tree I can give nothing  
Except my song of praise. 
    When I look upon a tree            
I remember that

The apple tree can allay my hunger

The maple can

Slake my thirst

The pine can

Heal my wounds and cuts 

The bark of birch can

Form my home, can

     Mold my canoe and vessels       
  The tissue of birch can    
Keep the images that I draw 
The balsam groves can  
  Shield me from the winds     
   Fruit of the grapevine can    
Lend color to my quills

The hickory can
          Bend as my bow, while       
        The cherrywood provides         
An arrow shaft. 
The cedar ferns can

     Cushion my body in sleep       
The basswood can

                  Become my daughter’s doll       

      The ash, as snowshoe, can   
       Carry me across the snows       
The tobacco can

                   Transport my prayers to God       

The sweetgrass can

Aromate my lodge

         The roots of evergreen can      
                     Bind my sleigh and craft       
     The stump and twig can   
Warm my lodge

The rose and daisy can

                   Move the soul of woman
       

       The leaves wind-blown can     
Open my spirit 

7 comments:

Frank Meuers said...

Beautiful expression. Here's something that we see every day, and take for granted, but they see a gift.

The tree changes itself completely; grows, evolves, even changes color, but always looks up, and silently stands its post with no complaints. A true gift to all. Would it be thus with man.

Anonymous said...

I just love this post. I can relate to a lot of what was said. Especially when the wind blows the leaves. thank you for posting this, I will read it often. Barb

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful, I read this thru tears.
Miigwech. No

Anonymous said...

Good one. It will be saved in my file......BB

Anonymous said...

lovely....very grounding. b

Rachelle said...

Wow~ beautiful photos and wonderful words. I shall look at trees in a whole new light now. Thank you.

Basque-Land said...

Very well done. Love the photos. Try this sometime; if you are not feeling grounded, go lean against a tree. I used to have one with a bit of a hollow in it and I would just lean into it and I swear I could feel the strength transmit into me. A very peaceful feeling.

Related Posts with Thumbnails