Monday, August 2, 2010

Top 10 Things to Say to a White Guy

Westerns and documentaries have tended to portray Indians as stereotypes: the wise elder, the aggressive drunk, the Indian princess, the loyal sidekick. Native Americans have been stereotyped as nature lovers or devoted environmentalists who believe that all people must respect it.
Hollywood's portrayal of the American West essentially used Native tribes as a malignant presence to be wiped out or reined in, or depicted as a form of local "wildlife". Western stereotypes of Native Americans tend to portray them as "trackers", with the ability to track and hunt down anything living.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) has made efforts to improve the portrayals of Aboriginal people in its television dramas. Spirit Bay, The Beachcombers, North of 60 and The Rez used Native actors to portray their own people, living real lives and earning believable livelihoods in identifiable parts of the country. U.S. television has been slower to respond although there have been a few efforts to change the situation.
Stereotyped issues include simplistic characterizations, romanticization of Native culture and stereotyping by omission—showing American Indians in a historical rather than modern context. Native Americans are perceived as rich per gaming revenues.
Having said that, lets put the moccasin on the other foot. Submitted by my niiji (friend) of Ponemah, Ozaawi Naabesim (Brown Stallion).

Top 10 Things You Can Say To A White Person Upon First Meeting:

10. How much white are you?

9. I'm part white myself, you know.

8. I learned all your people's ways in the Boy Scouts

7. My great-great-grandmother was a full-blooded white-American princess.

6. Funny, you don't look white.

5. Where's your powdered wig and knickers?

4. Do you live in a covered wagon?

3. What's the meaning behind the square dance?

2. What's your feeling about river-boat casinos? Do they really help your people, or are they just a short-term fix?

1. Oh wow, I really love your hair! Can I touch it?

5 comments:

Basque-Land said...

This brings back the derogatory things I had to hear as I grew up in the 50's being a Spanish/Italian kid. But I must say I do remember the derogatory things my parents had to say about whites too. Incredible that the color of your skin or you ethnicity can kill ya. (on a deeper note).

Unknown said...

Can't believe Cleveland doesn't change their name or mascot; and Washington--that defies explanation. Would we have a MN Whiteskins?

It isn't prejudice if it's about someone else, only when it affects, hurts, or demeans a group you happen to represent. Color is the easiest way to group people, after sex perhaps, and these along with religion are our main hangups, and cause the most violence; especially the latter.

Anonymous said...

Who was that masked man?

Rachelle said...

The top ten things to say to a white person are hilarious! Gosh, why are we such dweebs?? Then again, if I look wayyyy back in my history, there just may be an Indian Princess in my background. :o)

Trishymouse said...

You make people think. That's a good thing. Nice to meet you...

Related Posts with Thumbnails